What the bang dang diddly is goin on?

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Math Can Eat Your Lunch



The school year may have just started, but something tells me the students taking Pre-A.P. Math Team Algebra II at Homewood High School in Alabama already know it’s going to be an interesting year.
On the first day of class, students received a three-page syllabus detailing the course outline, classroom expectations, and a breakdown of how students will be graded.
tim hurry homewood high schoolThe teacher this year is Mr. Hurry. But as he explains in his syllabus, “When you graduate, you can call me whatever you want.”
And the syllabus only gets funnier, as AL.com reveals.
Mr. Hurry has quite high expectations for his classroom, and he’s not kidding around.
You will have to work your tail off, especially early on, to get the hang of what is expected and, therefore, to do well. In the past, other teachers may have tried to frighten you by saying this and they may have been bluffing.
I, on the other hand, am for real. If you don’t plan on doing the work at a very high level, day in and day out, then you are in for a very rude awakening. Are you hearing me?
IF YOU DON’T LIKE WORKING HARD AND DOING HOMEWORK EVERYDAY, THEN CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE FAST.
And that seriousness carries into homework.
Expect homework to be given every night. How often? EVERY NIGHT. Are you sure you are coming to grips with this? EVERY NIGHT. If you are the type of student who, in the past, has said, “I don’t do homework,” then please change your habits or you will get hammered.
While he’s at it, he may as well tackle another habit – swearing.
I will not swear/cuss/whatsoever in class (I will save all of mine for the ride home on hwy 280 – just kidding). … I would appreciate it if you would not use inappropriate language, either, while you are in my classroom.
I’m not suggesting that I think less of you because you might occasionally swear or that I’m completely above this sort of behavior myself (I’m Scott/Irish/Italian & my father was in the military – I’m very versed with this kind of “language”).
I’m just saying THIS classroom is not the place for it. Also, if something I say happens to offend you, please bring it to my attention after class and I will try my best to accommodate you. If the whole idea of math is offensive to you, well, sorry.
He really wants to get along with everyone in the class.
I can only think of one student in my previous 21 years of teaching that I truly could not stand to be around, and last I heard he had spent time “locked-up.”
Lastly, he shows his humble side while reminding his students that he’s only human.
I have been wrong many times before and I will be wrong many times again – just ask my wife & kids.
Sounds like it’ll be a wild ride of a school year for the kids at Homewood High School – how many of us could have benefited from such an honest syllabus and educator?

No comments: